This will take you back to the Photography Main Page
The Real Cost of Professional Digital Photography.
- Typical Hire Rate is being used to calculate Charge Out Rate per Job / day
- Camera Bodies – Most professionals own at least 2 professional Camera Bodies about $6,000 to $15,000 – in the DSLR range – lets work on a $10,000 – Approximate as an average.
- Camera Body – Cost per day (what it would cost to hire one) – $150+ / camera / day!
- Camera Lenes – Most professionals own at least 2 professional series / grade prime lenses and at least 1 professional series / grade zoom lens – $6,000 – Approximate.
- Camera Lens, Flash Heads, Tripods etc – Cost per day (what it would cost to hire one) – $50 / item / day – Approximate only!
- Filters, Flash Heads, Triggers, Tripods and etc (All Professional grade) etc – $6,000+ – Approximate.
- Props – $2,000+ plus
- Professional Grade Memory Cards & Capacity – $100 / 32GB – Approximately.
- Professional Indemnity Insurance – $4000 / annum – Approximate
- Equipment Insurance $3000 / annum – Approximate
- Travelling to and from shoots – running cost of a vehicle – $0.75 / km – Approximate
- Studio Heads, Backdrops and Accessories – $10,000 – Approximate
- Studio Hire / Running Cost’s – $50 minimum to $200 / 8 hr day – Approximate
- Professional Memberships and Professional Development Cost’s – $2000 / annum – Approximate
- Software Cost’s – $2,000 (minimum) plus – – Approximately
- Profesional Grade Laptop / Desktop Mac System (2) – $6000 – Approximately
- Storage (Hard Disk Drives) – $4,000 – Approximately
Typical Shoot Time Breakdown:
- Prebooking discusions 2.0 hr plus (over numerous & highly interruptive SMS / email / FB messages etc)
- Preparing for a basic swimwear / lingerie glamour shoot – 1 hr plus
- Travel time – 30 minutes
- Travel KM – 40 km return trip = $30.00
- Shoot time – 2 to 3 hours
- Post shoot reviewing work – 45 minutes
- Post shoot packing up and travel time – 45 minutes
- Studio – download images and export – 1 hr plus
- Recharge batteries, format cards, reset camera settings & more – 30 minutes plus
- EDITING – not included here.
- Email chosen images / create & print image on DVD, burn included / purchased images to DVD upload to Dropbox etc – 1 hr plus.
- Typical simple 2 to 3 hour shoot – total time per shoot = 8hrs plus
- Modest Professional Hourly Rate – $50.00 / hr = $400.00 for shoot.
- Camera & Lens & Flash Head and Other bit’s cost’s (based on hire cost’s of 2 professional camera’s and 2 professional lenses & professional accessories such as Professional Flash Heads etc) – $400.00
- Subtotal Cost = $800 Plus Plus Plus (Approximately) – for a 2 to 3 hour shoot.
Perspectives from other(s) on the subject:
- Here is an example of typical equipment hire rates: https://www.facebook.com/aspectcamerahire/app_119255214825893
- This is an example of our COST in a Simple Shoot – Images (Other than included images offered) are additional to this.
- Our typical shoot – we carry at least 2 full frame Manufacturer Recognised Professional / Advanced Camera’s at time of purchase + 2 to 4 professional grade, at time of purchase, (Exclusively “L” Series – purchased brand new) lenses + 1 to 3 Flash Heads and MORE! Plus our vehicles are run @ $2.00 / km!
There may be errors contained in this note – this is not intentional however we ask you to not act on this information and to research and come to your own independent conclusions on this subject matter.
Last edited / corrected / added to – 20121013-2116 by BK @ The Shed Studios.